Allow us to start by focusing on some facts related to clothes dryers. Why are they important? They give you a good idea of how essential it is to take care of this appliance and how urgent it is to prevent some problems with regular dryer service. So let’s see:
1. As an overall, dryers consume a lot of energy.
2. When they are overloaded, they take more time to dry clothing and thus consume more energy.
3. When they don’t function well, they won’t dry clothes well. So their cycle will last longer and in turn energy will be once more wasted.
4. When you overload the dryer, you put stress on the appliance and so its parts wear faster making dryer repair services more expensive since you will have to replace components.
5. When it comes to dryer maintenance, it’s also important to check the vents.
6. Lint built-up will keep the appliance from operating right and reduce airflow. When this happens, the motor, thermostat, and other parts will be ruined faster and there is always the potential threat of a fire.
To sum up, dryers must be used correctly and maintained frequently so that they will operate properly without wasting energy or posing a threat. Since good air circulation enables the appliance to perform without problems and thus no hazards, dryer installation is also important. There must be some space between the appliance and the rear wall which will allow good air flow. As for the frequency of the appliance’s service, the more you use it the more often you should maintain it.
The 7 basic dryer maintenance steps
– Remove the lint trap and clean it. If you wash it, allow it to dry well before you put it back.
– Unplug the dryer and use the vacuum cleaner to remove lint residue from the trap section.
– Clean the wall and floor behind the appliance. Dust and debris might end up inside the appliance.
– Pull the vent from the wall and use a brush or vacuum to clean it.
– Then use the vacuum to remove debris from the vent on the wall.
– Once you reattach the vent in its position, go outside and remove debris from the outer part of the vent. If there is a plate attached, make sure it is cleaned well too.
– Check the level of the appliance. If it shakes when you try to move it, adjust its legs. If the dryer is not leveled right, it will move and shake during operation causing damage to the parts.
A few last things to keep in mind
It’s best to remove lint from the trap after every cycle. Clothes produce enough lint to fill it up quickly and you don’t want the dryer to get clogged. Also make sure the laundry room is well ventilated when the dryer or washer is used to eliminate humidity. And never ignore signs of wear. If you feel that your top load dryer is not working as it should, call a tech right away. These appliances offer more comfort than we ever asked for but when they act up, they can be dangerous.